Thursday, February 16, 2012

What we just had for lunch

This is what I'd call a perfect lunch meal: the level of tastiness compared to the minimal time and efforts required makes pasta with steamed mussels, wine, garlic, cherry-tomatoes and fresh parsley a given winner any day of the week. How I love food that takes maximum 15 minutes to prepare.

What you need:

pasta, preferably spaghettini or spaghetti

fresh mussels, 8-10 per person
some chopped, fresh parsley
a pinch of red pepper flakes
6-10 cherry tomatoes
2 garlic cloves
a few shallots
white pepper
olive oil
salt 

What I do is that I put my pasta to boil in salty water, while that all is happening I clean the mussels in cold water, pull of any beards and throw away the mussels that are opened. Then I'll panfry my chopped shallots and garlic in virgin olive oil, adding some red pepper flakes, a bit of salt and white pepper. When fragrant and golden enough, I toss in the mussels. Pour in half a cup of white wine like Sauvignon Blanc or anything else that is crisp, and additionally I sprinkle over the chopped fresh parsley. Leave it to cook on high temperature under lid. Check back in a few minutes, toss the mussels well, cook for another 3-4 minutes until the shells are half opened. By this time your pasta should be done and I usually just pour the hot pasta straight into the pan, mixing it all well for a few minutes and serving it thereafter with some fresh lemon. If you are anything like me you should serve the food with a nice, chilled glass of that Sauvignon Blanc that you just poured into your meal.